The role of a Direct Support Worker is to help maintain a clients well being and independence in their own home and in the community. They do this by providing a range of care and support services such as personal care, help with mobility, transport, domestic duties or just someone to talk to. A client may include people with disabilities, the elderly or someone with special needs.
Direct Support Workers are also referred to as caregivers, personal assistants or care workers.
Employment is generally permanent part time or casual with an average income of between $35,000 and $43,000 per year. It is expected that the need for Direct Support Workers will grow by 31% by the year 2020.
The most desirable personal skills for a Direct Support Worker is:
- A caring and understanding nature.
- An ability to communicate with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
- A willingness to perform domestic duties.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
If you are looking to take the first step into a career as a Direct Support Worker the are a few different courses that will give you the qualifications you need to get started. These courses can be done at Tafe or private training organisations:
- Certificate III in Individual Support. (CHC33015
- Certificate III in Community Services. (CHC32015
- Certificate IV in Community Services. (CHC42015
The key modules that Accuro Homecare looks for in any related course are HLTWHS002 - Follow safe work practises and CHCCCS011 - Meet personal support needs.
If you are looking to further your skills in the industry to advance your career you can try these courses:
- Diploma in Community Services (CHC52015)
- Bachelor in Community Services (HE20528V01
- Diploma in Community Services - Case Management (CHC52015)
There are also other short courses such as Statements of Attainments that you can complete that will give you further skills in areas such as mental health awareness, domestic violence awareness, cleaning and food handling.
If your interested in working for Accuro Home Care, the following is considered mandatory:
- First AId Certificate
- A Reliable vehicle
- Full comprehensive insurance
- Police check
Whilst not mandatory, it would be desirable to have the following:
- Working with children check
- All vaccinations up to date
If you would like more information about becoming a Direct Support Worker ask to speak to one of our Human Resources staff on 1300 554 983.
If your ready to take the first step, go to our Employment page.
Best of luck in your endeavours!